We’ve lived in Stafford County since 1991. The best thing we can say about Stafford County restaurants and shopping is there is no shortage of chain restaurants and retail stores. Our best advice if you’re looking for something different is to go to Stonebridge at Potomac Town Center (Prince William County), Fredericksburg Historic District, and Spotsylvania Towne Centre. But there are some favorite local places worth your time and money. Some because of the food quality and atmosphere, and others because they are unique.
Stafford County Restaurants
These are our favorites:
- Amy’s Cafe Located next to the Rappahannock River in Falmouth. Casual menu done well. The outdoor patio attracts motorcyclists & locals from the Rappahannock Region.
- Bella Cafe A coffee house, frozen custard and ice cream shop, and burger & sandwich joint. The kitchen doesn’t disappoint. Don’t be scared away when you find the restaurant. Open microphone (Fridays), karaoke (Wednesdays), and local musicians (Saturdays) attract crowds of all ages. Tuesdays are reserved for chess night.
- Dad’s Deli If there are better submarines in Stafford County we haven’t found it. Everything on the menu is worth ordering.
- Formosa Chinese Restaurant It’s in the Brafferton Shopping Center next to Stafford Sport & Health in Garrisonville. We’ve ordered most menu items here. We’re disappointed when dining at other Chinese restaurants after experiencing Formosa. It is the best in Stafford County.
- The Globe & Laurel If you are a United States Marine, law enforcement officer, watch the Food Network, read Patricia Cornwell crime dramas, or watch the History Channel, you’re already familiar with the Globe & Laurel and restaurant owner & WWII Pacific Theater Combat Infantryman Major Richard Spooner. It’s a unique restaurant offering casual dining and drinks. It’s the only restaurant you could have diner next to foreign dignitaries, and the Commandant of the Marine Corps.
- Kobe Japanese Steak and Seafood House and Umi Japanese Cuisine both offer fresh seafood from an extensive menu.
- Le Grand Cru Bistro at Potomac Point Winery: Located in Widewater near the Potomac River, patrons enjoy signature items (limited menu), wine tastings including 14 wines, an olive oil bar in the wine tasting room, outdoor patio, intimate fireplace dining, and outdoor pavilion . It’s a beautiful venue so make it an occasion with special friends.
- Log Cabin Restaurant: A cozy fireside fine dining experience featuring steak and fresh seafood . A great place for connecting with your spouse after a long week.
- Mick’s Restaurant & Sports Lounge: Better selections, food quality, service, and atmosphere than other sports bars. Mick’s is a popular meeting place for happy hour. The restaurant becomes a busy nightclub with several types of entertainment after 10 o’clock.
- Mission BBQ Fast, fresh, and friendly service. A patriotic atmosphere where everything stops at 12:00 for the playing of the National Anthem. A great lunch option with several styles of prepared barbecue items. Catering services are also available.
- Mike’s 610 Diner: Located in North Stafford. Mike’s makes the list by serving good soup, sandwiches, and the best french fries in Stafford County. A good choice for breakfast and lunch. You won’t be disappointed if simple done well is your expectation.
- Sake Thai and Sushi Bar Restaurant has good prices, fresh seafood, good presentation, attentive and friendly service.
- Pancho Villa: Mexican restaurants in Garrisonville and Fredericksburg. Pancho Villa offers a standard Mexican-American menu made from fresh ingredients.
- Vinny’s Italian Grill: Great service, quality Italian entrees, and pizza at reasonable prices. A good selection for dinner with the family. A full-service bar is also popular for single customers.
- Zibibbo 73 Trattoria and Wine Bar serves traditional Italian and Sicilian cuisine. Freshly made pastas, fresh ingredients, and a raw seafood bar are the highlights at Zibibbo 73. There is also an extensive wine list, several beer types, many after dinner drinks, and fully stocked bar. Zibibbo 73 is an affiliate of Basilico Italian Market and Deli in Fredericksburg. Catering and private parties are available. We think it is the best Italian fare in Stafford County.
- Zum Rheingarten Restaurant: Authentic German menu including extensive beer and wine selections. Great atmosphere for special dinner engagements.
This is Major Rick Spooner, USMC, Retired. He is the owner of the Globe & Laurel Restaurant in Stafford, Virginia. It is at 3987 Jefferson Davis Highway about 1 mile south of the National Museum of the Marine Corps. Major Spooner served in the United States Marine Corps from 1942 to 1972. He is the author of a highly regarded trilogy of books related to his combat experiences and the stories of others he served with after fighting in the Battle of Tarawa, the Battle of Saipan (briefly captured by the Japanese), Battle of Tinian, and the Battle of Okinawa with the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines.
In 1968, Major Spooner opened the Globe and Laurel with his wife Gloria in the town of Quantico. The Globe and Laurel represents some of his favorite pubs and taverns in England and Scotland. The name of his restaurant was taken from the shield of the Royal Marines of the United Kingdom. Major Spooner wanted his restaurant to represent the brotherhood of Marines worldwide. The Globe and Laurel is a unique place. While most customers are Marines, followed by gatherings from the F. B. I. Academy, local customers also enjoy the best prime rib and Sunday brunch south of the beltway.
There are few places where you can have dinner next to the Commandant of the Marine Corps, and men and women serving our country. It’s a common occurrence at the Globe and Laurel Restaurant. The Globe and Laurel is a restaurant and pub with customers who are mostly law enforcement members across the country, and Marines living in our community. The atmosphere is relaxed, business causal dress is practiced by most folks, but casual is welcome. The wait staff is friendly, professional, and attentive.
Stafford County Shopping Centers
North Stafford (Garrisonville & Aquia)
- Aquia Towne Center (Aquia): Future retail space is under construction. Existing businesses include Aquia 10 Regal Cinemas, Booz, Allen, Hamilton Consulting, El Gran Charro Mexican Restaurant, KFC Restaurant, McDonald’s, Mick’s Restaurant and Sports Lounge, Ruby Tuesday Restaurant.
- Brafferton Center (Garrisonville): Comfort Dental, Dunkin’ Donuts and Baskin Robbins Ice Cream, Main Street Bar and Grill, Massage Envy, Pak Mail, Sport and Health, Stafford Uniform, Sweet Frog Frozen Yogurt.
- Doc Stone Commons (Garrisonville): Auto Zone, CiCi’s Pizza, Children of America, Giant Grocery Store, Home Depot, KOA Martial Arts, Petco, Staples, Subway.
- Garrison Village (Garrisonville): 2 b Tan Stafford, 610 Animal Hospital, 610 Pawn & Jewelry, Dark Horse Tattoos and Body Piercing, Sherwin Williams Paints, Stafford Technologies, Sue’s Hair Designs.
- Newbury Plaza (Garrisonville): Next to the Helene Loren Building.
- Parkside Plaza (The Market at Shelton Shop): China Wong Restaurant, Food Lion, Tuesday Morning Home Furnishings.
- North Stafford Plaza (Garrisonville): ALDI, Burger King, Cardinal Bank, Jin’s Garden Chinese Restaurant, Kobe Japanese Steak and Seafood House, Mission BBQ, Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen, Power Kix Martial Arts, Stafford Barber Shop, Taco Bell.
- Stafford Marketplace Shopping Center (Garrisonville): Applebee’s Best Buy, Buffalo Wild Wings, Bed Bath & Beyond, Bob Evans Restaurant, Chili’s Grill & Bar, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Dollar Tree, Famous Footwear, Five Below, Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Kohl’s, Lowe’s Home Improvements, Michael’s Arts & Crafts, Panera Bread, Party City, PetSmart, Pier 1 Imports, Ross Dress for Less, Shoppers Food Warehouse, Target, T J Maxx.
- Stafford Pointe Retail Center (Garrisonville): Allstate Insurance: Bill Wyant, All-American Tattoo Studio, Choice Dry Cleaners, Champion Martial Arts, Domino’s Pizza, Poppa John’s Pizza, Nails for Today, Naturally Chiropractic, St. Francis Animal Hospital, U & I Barber Shop, Utopia Hair Salon.
- 610 Shopping Center (Garrisonville): In front of Stafford Urgent Care and Rappahannock Family Physicians. Stores include Arby’s Restaurant, Boost Mobile, Dan’s Wellness Pharmacy, Gone to the Dogs Pet Salon, Massage Matters, Star Nail Salon.
South Stafford (Falmouth & Fredericksburg)
- Carter’s Crossing West (Fredericksburg)
- Celebrate Virginia North Shopping Center (Fredericksburg)
- The Shops at England Run (Fredericksburg)