Fairfax County County Transportation and Commuting Services
Supporting the largest transportation network in Virginia requires connections for commuters. Fairfax County transportation and commuting services accomplishes this through the options listed here.
- Washington Metro provides rail and bus service in the northern region of Fairfax County. Metro provides rail stations at Franconia/Springfield, West Falls Church, Vienna/Fairfax/George Mason University, Huntington, and Merrifield/Dunn Loring on the Orange, Blue, & Yellow Lines. The Silver Line extends from East Falls Church to Washington Dulles Airport. When completed it will have 11 stations to serve the areas of Tysons Corner, Reston, and Herndon in Western Fairfax County. The last stop at the Silver Line will be next to the Brambleton master planned community south of Leesburg and north of Aldie and South Riding in Loudoun County. Metrobus connects riders from Metrorail to neighborhood stops in Alexandria, Annandale, Burke, Bailey’s Crossroads, Fort Belvoir, Seven Corners, Springfield, and Tysons Corner. Click here for the Wikipedia description of Washington Metro services, and here for more information on Metro services in Fairfax County.
- Virginia Railway Express offers rail service for Fairfax County commuters on the Manassas Line with stations at Burke Centre, Rolling Road, and Backlick Road. The Fredericksburg Line offers stations in Fairfax County at Lorton & Springfield/Franconia. The Virginia Railway Express Lorton Commuter Rail Station at Lorton Station Town Center is a commuter option for South County residents. The subdivisions of Crosspointe, Laurel Hill, Lorton Station, and Lorton Valley are nearby to take advantage of commuter parking at Lorton Station on the Fredericksburg Line between Springfield and Woodbridge.
- Amtrak The Lorton Amtrak station provides Auto Train service to Sanford, Florida. Direct rail service to northeast stations, and national passenger rail service is available at Union Station. Click here for more information about services provided at Union Station.
- The CUE Bus (City-University-GMU Metrorail Station) connects George Mason University and the City of Fairfax to the Vienna Metrorail Station.
- Fairfax Connector is a commuter bus service operating in Fairfax County connecting 54 bus routes to Metrorail Stations. This also includes the Dulles Express Bus, and more than 40 park-and-ride commuter parking lots.
- Fairfax Express Connector service connects commuters to Tysons Corner from Burke, Springfield & Saratoga, and the Lorton VRE Station.
- Washington Flyer transport services between Dulles International Airport to the West Falls Church Metrorail Station.
- TAGS Bus provides bus service throughout the Greater Springfield Area.
- Richmond Highway Express (REX) Connects commuters from Fort Belvoir (South) to the King Street-Old Town (Alexandria) Metrorail Station with passenger stops on U.S. Route 1 at Woodlawn, Hybla Valley, Groveton, Beacon Hill, Huntington Metrorail Station, and the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
- Reston Internal Bus System (RIBS) This is bus service connecting neighborhoods, park and ride commuter lots, and business centers to Metrorail stations in Reston/Herndon using Reston Town Center as a transfer point.
- Slug Lines There are 6 locations in Springfield. This link provides a map of Fairfax County with marked locations of Metro and VRE stations.
Fairfax County Transportation and Commuting Services and Programs
- Fairfax RideSources is a program matching commuters with others having the same commuting needs for carpools and vanpools.
- Commuter Connections provides information on commuter programs in the Washington Metropolitan Area.
- Click here to provide commuter information and ideas in Reston/Herndon.
- Dulles Area Transportation Association offers commuting solutions and information in Western Fairfax County.
- Fairfax County Department of Transportation provides information for commuting, projects, studies, programs, and planning.