Listed below are parks and museums in Fairfax County
Click here for museums and historical sites in Fairfax County.
The Fairfax County Park Authority operates 420 parks including 371 miles of trails, lakes with marinas, historic sites, and nature centers. These parks include 274 athletic fields (30 synthetic turf). The Fairfax County Park Authority also manages the maintenance of more than 500 athletic fields for Fairfax County Public Schools. The Fairfax Cross County Trail is a 40 mile trail for pedestrians, cyclists, & equestrian use. It connects Great Falls National Park (Potomac River) to Occoquan Regional Park (Occoquan River). Facilities of the Fairfax County Park Authority:
NIKE Missile Site W-64, Lorton Virginia, was built during 1954 and was part of the Army Air Defense Command (ARADCOM). A ring of 11 NIKE anti-aircraft missile batteries were strategically… Continue reading
Stafford County historic sites and museums can be found in all parts between Marine Corps Base Quantico (Garrisonville) and the Rappahannock River (Falmouth). Stafford County is mostly known as the 1862 staging area for the Union Army of the Potomac commanded by Major General Ambrose Burnside during the preparation of the Battle of Fredericksburg. The Stafford County Historical Society has put together an outline (map included) of the most important historic sites which has been published by the Central Rappahannock Regional Library. The 20 most historically important are listed below.
Parks and Battlefields in Spotsylvania County
There are many opportunities to experience Civil War history in all corners of Spotsylvania County. The Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park is made up of a collection of Civil War historical sites governed by the National Park Service. These sites include Chatham Manor (Falmouth), Chancellorsville Battlefield, Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of the Wilderness, Fredericksburg Battlefield (Battle of Salem Church), and the Stonewall Jackson Shrine.
There were 36 Union Napoleon Guns commanded by Captain Clermont Livingston Best at Fairview on May 3, 1863. They were dueling with 40 Confederate cannons (directly forward of this artillery position) under the command of Colonel Edward Porter Alexander at Hazel Grove about 1,200 yards to the west along current day Stuart Drive. This artillery position gave Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart the ability to reach General Hooker’s Headquarters (about 2,000 yards from Hazel… Continue reading