Fredericksburg Commuting and Transportation
Commuting to Northern Virginia and Washington, D. C. from Fredericksburg is summarized by four options. All of them help fight traveling to work using a transportation grid designed to move traffic 3 decades ago. Slug lines, van pools, commuter trains, and Interstate 95 HOT Lanes will cut down on your travel time and reduce the headaches of daily stop and go traffic. Many people relocating to the Fredericksburg area have searched for homes in Prince William County. But prices for the home they want is out of their price range. So home searches begin in Stafford County in Falmouth, 22405 (Kings Highway Route 3 East), and Fredericksburg, 22406 (Warrenton Road Route 17 North). The outer limits of the Washington, D. C. commute are in Spotsylvania County in Fredericksburg, 22407 (Plank Road Route 3 West) and Fredericksburg, 22408 (Route 2 and 17).
Fredericksburg Commuting and Transportation Options:
Slug Lines: Slug line pick-up points near Fredericksburg are in Stafford and Spotsylvania Counties. The Interstate 95 Virginia Department of Transportation commuter lots supporting slug lines are listed below.
- Spotsylvania Exit #126: This commuter lot is in Spotsylvania County northeast of Interstate 95 turn left onto Jefferson Davis Highway (Route 1), turn left onto Hood Drive (Route 636). The commuter lot is at the corner of Houser Drive and Courthouse Road. Slug line destinations include the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn, 14th Street, and the intersection of 14th Street and G Street.
- Fredericksburg Exit #130: This commuter lot is at the intersection of Plank Road (Route 3) and Gordon Boulevard in Spotsylvania County. Slug line destinations include the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn, and 14th Street Downtown D. C.
- Warrenton Exit #133B: This commuter lot is on the south side of Warrenton Road (Route 17) about 1/4 mile from Interstate 95 in Stafford County. Slug line destinations include the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn, 14th Street, and the intersection of 14th Street and G Street.
- Stafford Exit #130: This commuter lot is next to Interstate 95 (southbound) in Stafford County. It will be relocated to the east side of Interstate 95 when construction of the Route 630 interchange begins. Slug line destinations are not at this lot. But there are several van pools which operate from this lot. For commuters living in Austin Ridge, Embrey Mill, Liberty Knolls, Colonial Forge at Augustine, Courthouse Square and Stafford Oaks; the Garrisonville Road commuter lots are a short drive away.
- Garrisonville Exit #143B: This commuter lot is off of Garrisonville Road (Route 610) on Staffordboro Boulevard (behind McDonalds) in Stafford County. Slug line destinations include the Pentagon, Crystal City, Rosslyn, and Downtown D. C.
- Garrisonville Exit #143B: This commuter lot has entries on Mine Road (turn left at 7-11 on Garrisonville Road) and Salisbury Drive in Stafford County. Slug line destinations are reached from 2 lines. Line 1 serves the Pentagon and Crystal City, Line 2 serves Downtown D. C. at the Navy Yard, 14th Street, and L’Enfant Plaza.
Van Pools: These van pools serve all Fredericksburg area Virginia Department of Transportation commuter lots in Stafford County and Spotsylvania County.
- Commuter Express connects riders from the above commuter lots to Arlington/Ballston, Crystal City/National Airport, FBI Hoover Building, Gallery Place/China Town, Joint Base Anacostia/Bolling, NW DC/15th & L Streets, U. S. Capitol, U. S. Patent & Trademark Office, Washington Navy Yard.
- Patriotic AdVANtures connects riders from the above commuter lots to 1st & D Streets, Air National Guard Readiness Center/North, Andrews Air Force Base/Jones Building, Chantilly, FDIC/VA Square (Arlington), Herndon, Mark Center (Alexandria), McLean, National Guard Bureau (Arlington), NSF/Ballston, PAX River, Pentagon, Quantico East, Reston, Rosslyn, Skyline (Falls Church), Sterling, Tysons Corner.
- GWRideConnect is a free service connecting commuters to ride sharing from the Fredericksburg region to Washington, D. C., Northern Virginia, Richmond, and Dahlgren.
- VPSI, Inc. connects commuters to van pools from the above commuter lots to 14th & Independence Streets SW D. C., Arlington Hall, Ballston Common Mall, Coast Guard Headquarters/St. Elizabeth & 2100 2nd Street, Department of Interior, Downtown D. C., Fort Belvoir, Henrico, Langley, Lanham-Seabrook, Pentagon, Richmond, State Department-Office of Personnel Management-General Services Administration.
- EZcommute connects riders from the above commuter lots to Chantilly, DEA, DLA/DTRA, Dupont Circle, JBAB (DIA), L’Enfant Plaza, NGB (Arlington Hall), Pentagon.
- Commuter Connections offers ride matching for car pools and van pools and administers the Guaranteed Ride Home program.
Commuter Train: The Virginia Railway Express Fredericksburg Line serves Fredericksburg area commuters in Spotsylvania County, the City of Fredericksburg, and Stafford County.
The Virginia Railway Express Commuter Rail Station in the Historic District of the City of Fredericksburg.
- The stations on the Fredericksburg Line are Spotsylvania (Crossroads Business Park on U. S. 17 Bypass), City of Fredericksburg (Historic District 200 Lafayette Boulevard with city parking deck 2 blocks away), Leeland Station (275 Leeland Road in Falmouth), Brooke (1721 Brooke Road in Stafford), Quantico Town of Quantico 550 Railroad Avenue), Rippon (15511 Farm Creek Drive in Woodbridge), Woodbridge (1040 Express Way. Kiss and ride drop off on U. S. Route 1), Lorton (8990 Lorton Station Boulevard next to Lorton Station Town Center), Franconia/Springfield (6880 Frontier Drive Springfield), Alexandria (110 Callahan Drive Alexandria), Crystal City 91503 South Crystal Drive Arlington), L’Enfant (6th & 7th Streets at C Street SW), Union Station (50 Massachusetts Avenue NE).
The Fredericksburg City parking deck is 2 blocks from the Virginia Railway Express commuter rail station in the Historic District.
Interstate 95 HOT (High-Occupancy Toll) Express Lanes: The worst commuting option in our opinion. The 495/95 Express Lanes are E-Z Pass toll lanes with fees governed by traffic volume. Higher volume = higher fees. However, vehicles with at least 3 occupants are exempt from fees. On Interstate 495 Express Lanes tolls range from $0.20 mile – $1.25 mile. On 95 Express Lanes tolls range from $0.20 per mile -$0.80 per mile.
- Interstate 95/395 Hot Lanes operate between Garrisonville (Exit 143B) in Stafford County to Edsall Road (Exit 2A & 2B). The Interstate 495 HOT Lanes connect the ‘Springfield Mixing Bowl’ to Tyson’s Corner (Fairfax County). This is a 40-mile toll route from Stafford County to Tyson’s Corner. Besides high tolls during peak traffic conditions, the amount of traffic using the HOT Lanes in the evening rush hour usually has bumper-to-bumper traffic from Garrisonville to Quantico Marine Corps Base (Exit 148) in Prince William County. This defeats the whole premise of paying tolls, usually $9 from Springfield to Garrisonville.